Ally is a multimedia journalist based in Vancouver, B.C. and from the Okanagan. She is a masters candidate at the UBC Graduate School of Journalism. Ally enjoys social media, popular culture, mixed martial arts, and local music.
Broadcast Journalism Intern CKNW Radio, Vancouver, B.C. Winter 2015
• Pitching and chasing hard news stories for local radio.
• Gaining familiarity with CKNW News standards and practices, and editing software such as Burli.
• Shadowing reporters and hosts during news events.
• Developing on-air abilities in broadcast journalism.
Freelance Multimedia Journalist Vancouver, B.C. September 2012- Present
• Pitching and chasing hard news and features for BBC News America, BUST Magazine, Thunderbird.ca, PRISM Magazine, Discorder Magazine, and StraightUpLove.com.
• Pitching, producing, editing, and promoting original video and audio documentaries.
Freelance Copywriter and Social Media Strategist Vancouver, B.C. September 2012- Present
•Writing creative copy for websites.
•Social media analytics.
•Planning and executing social media strategies.
Intern (Online Desk) BBC America, Washington DC. Summer 2014
•Pitching, chasing, and fact checking national and international stories.
•Researching and summarizing world news for BBC’s Echo Chambers blog.
•Managing social media accounts.
•transcribing interviews for BBC documentaries.
Associate Producer and Reporter (intern) Radio West, CBC Radio, Kelowna, B.C.
• Pitching, chasing, scripting, taping, editing and producing local and regional stories.
• Developing familiarity with CBC standards and practices, and editing software including Dalet.
• Shadowing reporters during local news events, conducted streeters, and created radio documentaries.
• Producing web segments to accompany audio pieces for CBC Radio West online.
Online Reporter TheThunderbird.ca, UBC, Vancouver, B.C.
September 2013- April 2014
• Pitching story ideas, writing news, blogging, photojournalism, and producing radio and video stories about Gastown and Vancouver.
Manager and Martial Arts Instructor Dojang Martial Arts Studios, Vancouver, B.C. October 2012- Present
• Scheduling, payroll, hiring, personal training, and teaching martial arts.
Contributing Editor StraightUpLove.com, Vancouver, B.C.
September 2012- February 2013
• Writing original stories.
•Recruiting contributors to writing weekly articles for the website.
•Managing social media accounts through Hootsuite.
•Editing articles to conform with writing style of the magazine.
•Successfully rejuvenated online magazine from zero to over 2000 readers per week.
- Expert knowledge of Microsoft Office for Mac and PC.
- Strong photography and editing skills.
- Excellent video skills.
- Expert knowledge in LightRoom and Photoshop.
- Strong proficient in Dalet, Audacity, Reaper, Final Cut, Premier, Adobe Creative Suite and SoundSlides.
- HootSuite University Social Media certified, and expert command of content management systems like HootSuite, Tweetdeck and blogging software like WordPress.
- Knowledge in HTML and SEO.
- Strong management skills. EDUCATION
Master of Journalism
University of British Columbia, Vancouver, B.C.
September 2013- August 2015
• Specialization: Sports and human rights.
Bachelor of Arts
Creative and Critical Studies
University of British Columbia, Kelowna, B.C.
September 2008- August 2012
• Major: English
• Minor: Gender and Women’s Studies.